HyperGear

HyperGear SR20det turbocharger Innovation, Evaluation and Testing

*snip*

Car came in at 309rwhp/227rwkw at 19PSI. This is on a roller dyno, not a hub dyno. Full boost not until 4,200-4,300. G

*EDIT* Dyno Graph attached

did anyone notice that the graph shows 17psi not 19. How come you didn't try for more boost? The other guys results seem to be from a minumum 20psi

I've purchased a SS2 a few weeks ago and I'm just getting the car together to go for a tune so I'll post my results when I get it back

mod list for reference:

- S14 SR20 with VCT

- Poncams

- Tomei dump to 3" exhaust

- 3" intake + Z32

- Nismo 740cc

- ARC FMIC (non return flow)

- Walbro 460 hardwired

- Powerfc

- NPC 10" clutch

Edited by andhey

I did notice that on the graph. Yet my ebc reads 1.33bar which is 19psi. Either way max boost is irrelevant.

I was more disappointed with the response when it's advertised as a pre 4k rpm full boost turbo when it is closer to 5krpm which is just laggy as for not much power.

Will go for higher boost on E85 in a few weeks. See what happens then.

What exhaust ?

As there must be a reason why the tuner kept it low on 17psi

must be something restricting the setup and hence the extra lag

ive had 2 ss2s now one one a n ok n vct sr20 and one on a vct sr20

The non vct one made 25psi by 3800rpm and vct sr20 made 20psi by 36-700rpm

Also are you sure the vct is goid cond and timings right ?

It's a 3inch exhaust. But I am looking at replacing it as the canon has now got a puncture in it and sounds terrible. I will look at replacing it fully. Running a hi-flo cat, although it is a bit old now so might need to be removed. Tuner did say that upping to this boost level required timing be taken out.

VCT is fine has been working fine since I have had the car. I do have a spare one which came with the cams when I bought them although I don't see that as an issue.

I will check the timing on Saturday when I take the car back to the guy who did all the installation/fab work and will check it then.

One thing I find very odd is the distinct lack of flutter when rolling off throttle. I will be replacing the factory BOV (although it has the grub screw mod done so should be fine) with an aftermarket one and see if that makes any difference. The BOV is currently blocked off and is not venting, as I am still waiting on one piece of silicon to be delivered to fit the bov back to the intake. This could be the issue, just not sure at this stage.

pur40m. It was your advice which I was going on and is one f the main reasons I purcahsed this turbo as you have had some great success with it, which is why I am a bit confused. I am also tempted to take the car to another tuner for their opinion on the tune and how it is currently running, but first I want to fix a few things and check some things out, such as timing.

Cheers!

Just take the bov out of the equation and remove it, blocking any ports off. That will ensure there are no leaks affecting spool rate or power, and allow you to hear flutter when the throttle slams shut, should you desire it (or are simply curious from a testing standpoint).

With a factory bov plumbed in, and rolling off throttle instead of lifting-off hard, there should not be much if any flutter.

Just make sure the exhaust isnt one of those jap ones with the jasma badge on it as they have a small 2 inch taper inside them to meet jap noise standards

I've experimented with a lot of exhausts with my Ss2, any restrictions will make it laggy, atm I've got a Tomei manifold/dump pipe and very free flow exhaust and full boost is at about 3800rpm

don't run a cat :)

I'm running a decat, for "race purposes" only of course! My high flow cats kept blocking up so decided to remove the problem

I found there is no consistency with SRs, and I've lost track in it. The profile of the turbocharger remains unchanged since they were first engineered. While it makes any where form 165rwkws to 308rwkws on different SRs.

I've managed to pull 220kws all four wheels out of a stock cams GTiR with a tinny ATR28SS15 on a Dyno dynamics roller dyno with an imperfect tune. while I have seen the much larger ATR28SS2 pulling way more then that figure on stock cams

Narrowing down few things will affect power delivery, that is the cooler, exhaust and tune, which you can find all the test results comparing apple to apples in my FB time line. The SS2 is engineered to boost up to 21psi, so if its showing that it requires a boost controller to ramp up to 17psi means there is an restriction. If the car doesn't pin while having issues holding boost its usually in the cooler, while if it pins when ramping up boost, its usually in the exhaust. and many cases its in both. To check:

1x Ask your tuner to tap his dyno's MAP sensor before the cooler for a run and compare to after. Big variances means a restrictive intercooler.

2: By rising boost result an cliff fall in timing usually stands for an exhaust restriction, ask tuner to drop your exhaust before the cat and do another run. Also I've noticed many of the Cheap dump / front pipes does not have the right flange cut out:

eg:

dumpgasket.jpg

Note a flat wall behind the turbine wheel, This makes the engine pin its head of on high boost. This must be dressed up before installation.

THE TUNE and I can't help you or my self with. I've spent over 3G total in tuning going back and forward trying to get it run properly with three different tuners to get it right.

In conclusion about the ATR28SS2, it runs a 74mm comp with a 65mm turbine. On my car it made 20psi by 4200RPM, and 308rwkws @ 24psi on P98 fuel, that is running an Drift exhaust manifold, PWR 600x300x81mm cooler with 3 inches cooler piping, 3.5 inches turbo back exhaust and BC step 2 cams. On similar setup and stock cams plus a good tune, it should be sitting at 250rwkws region @21psi of boost, that should also be the minimum amount of boost this turbo will run in a free flow setup.

Stao are the results you see from the ATR28SS turbo's any more consistent on CA18? I am saving/working away towards an ATR28SS1.5 for my CA18 for a responsive setup.

Coastie did you look into getting someone to fab up full custom exhaust/manifold vs off the shelf? If so was it price or build quality that lead you to off the shelf gear? After reading a lot about different people saying various brands/models are restrictive I was thinking of getting a custom full exhaust (dump all the way to tip), my theory is if it is custom you get full control over the piping size and if I ask for free flowing as possible it should be achievable with the right fabricator. I was also looking to use factory manifold as I am going for response vs outright horsepower....but may rethink that.

Either of you know how to tell if the manifold is restrictive other than try a different one when it comes time to tune?

Stao are the results you see from the ATR28SS turbo's any more consistent on CA18? I am saving/working away towards an ATR28SS1.5 for my CA18 for a responsive setup.

Coastie did you look into getting someone to fab up full custom exhaust/manifold vs off the shelf? If so was it price or build quality that lead you to off the shelf gear? After reading a lot about different people saying various brands/models are restrictive I was thinking of getting a custom full exhaust (dump all the way to tip), my theory is if it is custom you get full control over the piping size and if I ask for free flowing as possible it should be achievable with the right fabricator. I was also looking to use factory manifold as I am going for response vs outright horsepower....but may rethink that.

Either of you know how to tell if the manifold is restrictive other than try a different one when it comes time to tune?

For exhaust stuff iirc you really need a flow bench, so for Joe Average, it's easier to try it out. For intake stuff you can assess parts using a Magnehelic Gauge or Manometer to see how many inches of water it's drawing.

Refer to this Autospeed guide for the intake stuff, as it explains it pretty well:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0646

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0629

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Ultimate-DIY-Automotive-Modification-ToolKit-Part-3&A=111111

There has been very few modded CAs around, apart from the one that I've got built back in 2006 I don't have much more results.

Far good response and streetable drive ability, the ATR28SS15 is recommended.

Thanks pmod, Stao I will have to pull my finger out and get another Hypergear powered CA going then :)

Did my first tune with the ART28SS2 and got 231rwkw, would not get to 20psi boost at all even with a boost controller, 400 cell catco 3" hiflow ceramic and a RM01 fujitsubo exhaust.

I changed to a 100 cell metal cat and a custom 3" with a xforce muffler, hi boost was now stable but still laggy. Actuator was only sitting around 12-13psi without a boost controller.

Changed to a 18psi turbosmart actuator and just by pulling on the rods i could tell a difference, the stock actuator was about 45 pound to open and the TS one was about 75 pound to open, i believe this help a little bit with response from about 4800 to now about 4500 to full boost.

Here is my current setup

Make and model: Nissan Silvia S15

Size of engine: 2.0T with VCT

Modifications to the car: 3" TBE, 100 cell metal cat, KLS front mount, ARP headstuds, 1.2 MLS HG, 740cc Nismo, Nistune, RB25 gearbox with 4.1 diff, Methanol injection, Z32 AFM, Walbro 255, BC valve springs, turbosmart actuator 18psi springs.

Type of turbo: ATR28SS2

Trim of turbo:/

Rear Exhaust housing:64

When does vehicle begin boost: 3400

When does vehicle reach full boost and what PSI: 4500 @ 21psi

Does the vehicle have Cams? if so;

What brand: Brain Crower

What lift/duration etc: 12.06mm 264/264

Max power achieve at what boost: 261.8rwkw @ 20psi - 238rwkw @ 16psi

When i was doing a boost leak test i was loosing air from the back of the turbo housing, i was told not to worry about that too much

Next on the upgrade list down the track will be new manifold, Tomei dump pipe, new power wire to the fuel pump, FPR and seal the turbo again so its not leaking from the housing.

My tuner kept the boost at 20psi, thought he would have tried to get as high as possible but he did not recommend more boost and he said it will be unreliable and my 740's are at 90% duty cycle which was weird so he said the fuel pump might need better power source.

Overall its a beast on the track as i can keep the revs high, its a bit awkward on the street but real fast if you don't care about speeding

MRC 262KW 1-4-16.JPG

peekpower.jpg

https://youtu.be/gxA8v_1hsXc

dyno.jpg

Boost Brother's S15 SR20, 250,000km old with full service history

Standard motor

headstuds and mls head gasket

BC 264 vtc delete and valve springs, rocker stoppers

6 boost, 45mmex gate

1000cc inj

walbro 460l

E85 plus pre turbo water injection

Hypergear Td06 20.5G 8cm T3 rear

19psi 314rwkw

23psi 366rwkw....power is still climbing hitting the rev limiter

Peek of 386rwkw at 28.7psi at 5800rpm before car started misfiring

I will also be doing Ceramic ball bearing conversions for the entire ATR28 and TD06 SL range. So BB models will be soon available.

mint^ is that similar in spec to an atr28ss2

Edited by liambrm

so the ss2 just has the same turbine wheel uncropped yeah? also ill take my turbo of this weekend to bring round soon too stao

cant wait to see what a t2 housed externally gated ss2 can do

And some video footages from this week:

front.JPG

HyperGears ATR45SAT Ceramic ball bearing turbocharger powered Team Lori Blue Bird. Sandown race track 1.24 run before WTAC. Car is a 4WD, has SR20VET engine, Built gear box, Fuel and injector mores, manifold and external gate. Tuned at Springymotors made 340awkws E85 fuel. Car driven by John Reco

Does anyone have any idea how the ATR28SS1.5 would compare to a Precision 5130?

They're rated to similar power and the 5130 is said to be very responsive I just haven't been able to source many dyno graphs for it to compare.

Latest result. Atr28ss15 powered S15 SR20det, with Pon cams, Valve springs. No vct. P98 fuel.

246rwkws @ 17psi

power.jpg

And yet I only managed 226 with that turbo on 98 :/

And yet I only managed 226 with that turbo on 98 :/

S13 motor :)

Tuner had trouble controlling boost as it was spiking, still managed 260 on E85 lol.

Next step is gonna be new mani, ext gate, top feed injecors, bigger fuel pump and see what I can push it on e85.

Might hit you up for a touch up tune Johnny, if that's alright man

sure thing man :)

Just one thing, I can't get MRC's dyno for weekends for a while as Mark isn't working weekends anymore until next year or so. I do have access to Billtech's Dyno but it's a little pricier per hour.