Sign in to follow this  
Dane.

180SX Drift/street car build

Hi everybody

My Name is Dane, I've been on ns for a bit over a year now, not a real heavy poster but I'm on here everyday and thought it was about time I put a build up of my 180sx

So I brought this car begining of december, main reason I got it is because I wanted to get into the sport of drifting and didn't want to drift a 20k+ S15(my next car I will buy). Picked it up for what I think was a pretty reasonble price, body is in good nick, interior is excellent for a 180 & a few mods that I'm quite happy with.

Engine mods when I got her:

GT2871R(or so I was lead to beleive).

Stainless stell manifold.

3inch zorst.

FMIC.

Apexi CIA kit.

Carbon look air box.

Aftermarket radiator (can't remember brand atm..).

Custom oil catch can.

Oil cooler and relocation kit.

DOSE.

740cc injectors(so I was told).

Denso pump.

Profec B EBC.

Fuel pressure reg.

braided turbo and brake lines.

Greddy diversion plate.

Lightened pullys.

Turbo timer.

Fan temp controller.

plus a couple other goodies I probably missed..

Engine mods I've done so far:

Installed turbo smart dual port.

Tune at Tuff Tune performance Wyong, very happy with result, power went from 188kw-218kw :D

Engine future plans/ideas:

GT3071r or precision equivalent.

850cc injectors.

Rocker arm stoppers (sitting in my bedroom, have just been to lazy to install).

Step 2 cams with springs etc..

Custom fuel setup, if I get serious i guess..

Retune with above.

Suspension/Driveline

Cusco coilovers.

Front & rear strut braces.

Torque dampener.

16X8 mismatched wheels, look decent though, old volks?

Future plans/ideas:

17X9 +12 rims, got delivered today

Camber arms.

2way LSD, Kazz possibly.

???

Exterior:

Not a huge fan of the front bar so am thinking a vertex or possibly type X bar and vertex/dmax/Origin side skirts + rear bar.

Has an ugly looking cannon on it so I am considering some drift pipes/flutes what ever you want to call them lol.

Interior:

The interior is pretty neat and untouched minus two gauges that came with car which is a A/F Ratio& oil pressure. Plus a couple more gauges I added myself, a boost and volt gauge.

Future plans for interior:

Bride/recaro seats, just something that holds a bit better than the stock seats.

Cage later down the track.

may remove sound ded eventually aswell..

Some pictures?

DSC_0735.JPG

DSC_0734.JPG

DSC_0748.JPG

DSC_0759.JPG

sneaky sneaky

DSC_0739.JPG

DSC_0740.JPG

My girlfriend putting my exhaust wrap on :quagmire:

IMG_0917.JPG

DSC_0757.JPG

Will be updating this as I go along with the build, thanks for reading!

car looks good man, you from the central coast?

Thanks guys, agreed not the best looking front bar, will change it eventually and yeah I'm from the central coast. Are you local aswell?

yeah im from the coast, havnt seen this around before have you had this for long?

yeah, front bar is gross..

otherwise looks good man, what ecu does it have do you know??

and yeah, those are old Volk GT-U's.. iv got the same wheels on my trackhack/streeter.. ;)

yeah im from the coast, havnt seen this around before have you had this for long?

yeah, front bar is gross..

otherwise looks good man, what ecu does it have do you know??

and yeah, those are old Volk GT-U's.. iv got the same wheels on my trackhack/streeter.. ;)

Got it in december so havnt had it heaps long and still on my p's for two months so when it gets around it's usually my mum or dad driving it :(

And yeah it's got a power fc, knew I was forgetting something in the post lol, thanks for that aswell, was trying to find out what they are but couldn't, sucks that I only have two of them I do like them, new wheels sitting at home though.

Little update guys, not much has changed, got some new wheels, I'm sure there will be some haters but i got rota grids lol..

Got some more pictures from my first drift event, some with the new wheels and also some with the guards i pulled last weekend, very happy with the result :naughty:

DSC_0772.JPG

DSC_0775.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

Looking at buying some new seats at the moment and am also looking for a cheapish place to get a new kit painted :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

IMG_1257.JPG

looking good man we should go for a cruise sometime man, as for painting i got a front and rear bar a spoiler and a boot done for 450 at the smash repair place next to the exhaust shop at tumbi near the servo on tumbi creek rd the paint was very good aswell highly recommended, dont go to mjm at tuggerah they quoted me 500 just for a rear bar for a celica hahaha

Yeah man defiantly. Thanks for the info will keep them in mind, I asked for a quote at northlakes smash repairs and he told me painted & fitted kit $1500ish, I know they do a good job there but didn't really want to pay more for the paint then the kit itself haha..

A fair bit has change since i last updated, more camber, gktech lock spacers, bride seats & rails, more skids & i finally got a different kit to get rid of the front bar (will upload pics later) And now i have a problem, ive called about 6 or 7 panel beaters/smash repairers and theyre all happy to paint the kit, but as soon as i mention it is a fiberglass aftermarket kit, no one wants to fit it.. can anyone recormend someone? preferably on the centralcoast, will travel to sydney or newcastle if needed??

fit it up your self.. shouldn't be to bad unless its a super bad fitting kit... panel beaters are worried that you will complain that it may not a near factory fit... thats the risk after market kits... i did my old 180 and wasn't to hard just tedious...

I have been pretty slack lately so time for an update!

Now where to start?

finally got my full license so I can drive it on the street :drool:

Well I have been attending quite a few driving sports events this year

IMG_1567.JPG

Have got to say that my favourite mod I have done so far is GKTECH lock spacers, could not believe how much of a diference they made!

and got a little bit sick of driving from the passengers seat so i decided to get fake bride with genuine rails and holy sheeet! did it make a difference, alot better than standard s13 seats thats for sure..

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

Had a oil leak from the crank pulley so whilst that was being replaced I got my RAS's installed, AND THAN when driving home I thought to myself 'Dane, you have been a very good and responsible boy in this car, not hitting limiter at all!' mostly due to the fact of me worrying to much about shit breaking due to no RAS's, so anyway I decided to put the car into neutral so I did not put a load on it(i just wanted to hear BAM BAM BAM!) put my foot down, car revs to about 9K! so I'm thinking it should have hit limiter already so I stopped and put the car back into gear to continue driving. Nek minnit

IMG_1626.JPG

my cat decides it wants out and it gets it's way, all over the road on fire with swerving motorists behind me the car becomes gutless and I was forced to stop and it now sounds as if I have performed an EJ20 conversion (I swear I didn't!) unable to drive home I got a tow from a mate (thanks Chris) and began to try and find the problem.

first guess was the car could not breath properly due to a blocked cat so took to it with a pole to knock the guts out, smashed it all onto dads garage floor and put it back on, start the car, no dice, maybe a EJ25 now? looked at hand controller and there was nothing so I freaked out, turns out the cord for it came out. I'm ravving on here so il make it quick, worked out it was cyclinder 2 not firing, tried spark plug and coilpack, started to check the wiring it it turned out to be the plug for the coils was not connected properely :doh: , probably due to being unplugged for the rocker cover to come off..

I later looked at the hand controller and found that the limiter was at 9600rpm so I changed that pretty quick..

I found this out after searing here, ebay and other places for built motors lol.

Next on my list was to get the vertex kit on and after trying to fit it myself, failing hard and convincing myself that it was not okay the mount it with cable ties I took it to a smash repairer who did an awesome job!

IMG_17311.JPG

(will add better pics soon)

Also picked up a safety 21 half cage pretty cheap and installed that

IMG_17211.JPG

My GF found my computer password and let me know by sending this to me lol

IMG_17401.JPG

Also went out to Eastern Creek on Saturday and tried out the north circuit for the first time and F*#K ME IT WAS AWESOME! most fun I have ever had in a car, did suck that the mate I went down with crashed on his second lap of the day

563914_326412290781122_1721293865_n.jpg

Had a little problem with the clutch slipping sometimes and my gopro coming off somehow which i luckily found yesterday but unfortunatly my memory card maxxed out literally the corner before it came off. The event did make me want to spend a lot of money, clutch, more power, and I'm thinking something a bit better than the standard LSD would be better..

Got the car passed for rego today and also noticed a couple problems.. the wheel has begun to dig into the wiring loom on the drivers side, how do I resolve this? tuck the loom or re-run in the bay? Also after looking at some money go pro footage I have relized that I have a shit load of fuel coming out of the fuel tank whilst drifting? what could that problem be? hellllllppppppppppppp?!?!?!

Edited by Dane.

Yo, matt here, didnt even no you had a thread hah

good shiz as always, maddest passenger rides!

With the fuel, ive spoken to alot of people who have said if they will their car up over half way then go drifitng it tends to slosh around and come out, but anything under half seems to stay in while sloshing around, if its coming from your tank itself then get under and make sure lines and clamps are tight

Yo, matt here, didnt even no you had a thread hah

good shiz as always, maddest passenger rides!

With the fuel, ive spoken to alot of people who have said if they will their car up over half way then go drifitng it tends to slosh around and come out, but anything under half seems to stay in while sloshing around, if its coming from your tank itself then get under and make sure lines and clamps are tight

Yeah man haha, you Bretag and Jake were loving the passenger rides :thumbsup:

that makes sence, not sure if it is still coming out when the fuel is lower.. I still want to stop it even if the tank is full..

I'll Check all that tomorrow I guess after I sort this loom out..

Yea man, such good fun, wish I had a track car but

Correct me if I'm wrong but you probly won't be able to unless you add baffles if you can or get a fuel cell with baffles

But yea, sure someone can suggest couple ways.

Yea just pull it up and tuck it, seriously not a biggie, I'll help if you want lol

You can when you sell the ute haha..

I'm very unsure on the fuel thing.. I should be alright with the loom but il send you a message if i run into any trouble.

Hah don't make me think about that! Though is an idea! I'll have to look into it now haha

Yer no bro.

Repaired the damaged wires this after noon and cable tied the loom into a better place, could be better i think so i might muck around with it on the weekend..

Picked up my new floor jack from Bursons this arvo too, 75mm :D

skids

180skids.jpg

Picture thanks to 'e rock'

Edited by Dane.

Also got two of these bad boys today from cartel Aus

111GOPR3003.JPG

^best facials in that photo haha.

haha yeah, not sure if massive smile, or 'ohh that was close' lol

Edited by Dane.

Either way man, good skid. I saw you out there all day, you were definitely building up confidence towards the end of the day.

Either way man, good skid. I saw you out there all day, you were definitely building up confidence towards the end of the day.

Yeah I'll admit, my first time on the main track i was pretty nervous, didn't want to go out of second gear but towards the end 3rd in pretty much every corner and tried 4th a couple times on turn 12, I loved it!

Okay!

Gutters suck!

left me with about 45° positive camber, two destroyed lca's and a couple of other F*#ked arms..

threw the gktech catalogue at it

IMG_1838.JPG

more rotas, also some bc coilovers as i bent one of my cusco ones <_>

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

rather disapointed in myself, ohwell..

cracked arch with dodgy fix..

IMG_19091.JPG

after single spinning into the gutter, almost needless to say, my next mod will be a new diff or shim up my current diff..

bent a tie rod so picked up some uras copies for some extral lock and adjustment, I do get a bit more lock with the built in spacers plus the additonal 6mm gktech spacer, although i want more lock! next step lca's and knuckles?

full lock at the moment gives me a seedy sound so i will have to sus out what the wheel is hitting ( does'nt sound like wheel on guard)

also consider some over fenders for the rear to cover up a couple nasty dents, would probably go new fenders on the front aswell.

I have also made the decision to make this a much more track orientated car, I am currently searching for something to replace my current daily (pulsar) for something more capable of towing the 180 to track days, keen as on a M35 stagea but only a 2.5L and nearly impossible to find a tow bar for :( so have also been looking at a couple xr6 turbo's but then I want something awd for snow trips, BUT not 4wd so still fun to have a thrash around the streets, I can't win

Anyone have opinons on good tow cars?

rip off overfenders & front, or genuine? Jesse streeter if i go genuine?

next move for more lock?

clutch slips slightly, twin plate?

anyone wanna give me some free money?

shot gun winning lotto!

Edited by Dane.

Also looking into hydro set-up plus a front left s13 lca, pm if you have one!