Sign in to follow this  
Chris Rath

SR20 powered TA22

Hey guys. I've got a TA22 in my garage as a project atm and she wants a SR20 gently 'massaged' in :)

Just wondering if anyone had any prior knowlage of this or anyhting helpful really.

I also need to choose a new box to put on as well. I'll be getting between 200 and 250rwkw when it's finished so is there any one particular that would go nicely and fit the SR without to much hasstle?

Before it's said, I've gone to Toymods........ I'm just looking for extra info and some opinions that arn't coming from purists that can't understand why I'm doing this.

Cheers

post-97270-0-62060300-1325759826_thumb.jpg

This is of no help whatsoever but a guy I went to school with who lives in my area has one thats in mint condition with a sr20 fitted. Its a f**king nice car. Similar colour to yours as well. If I ever bump into him around the place I'll ask him some questions about his install.

Man the quantity of those cars I seen in Thailand was mind blowing!

Wish I could import them here :(

Id go with the stock sr 5 speed with a decent clutch. itll handle the power if your not to much of a twit driving it.

Failing that. z32 box with a mazworks conversion kit will handle anything you throw at it.

isnt' the celica 5 speed meant to be a strong box?

I know people upgrade to that behind other motors for its strength,

*edit ~ After saying that i realised that people on here would be sourcing up celica 5 speeds if they were good behind SR motors, so uhmm, scratch that *

Edited by Dandrenat

^^^ You're talking early Holden talk.

Celica 5 speed behind a 186 was a strong box compared to an aussie 4 speed or M21 :lol: they're only a shitty T50, a well sorted 4AGTE will blow the arse out of one. Unless you're talking about a "Celica Supra" 5 speed or "steel case Celica box" which was a W58... a bit stronger but nothing special really.

Why you'd want to adapt a Toyota box onto a Nissan engine, especially an SR, is beyond me. You've got the option of the SR box and treat it with a bit of care, or convert to RB25 or Z32 box. Tunnel would probably need a fair massage though at a guess.