Sign in to follow this  
Gurglar

Who has gone from an S13 to an S15?

Just want to know how many of you guys have gone from an S13 to an S15 and which car you have had the most fun in?

What do you like the most about the upgrade?

I'm contemplating this change still just cause I want a more modern feeling car (interior wise) but just haven't fully thought i'd enjoy it mostly for the look factor I know the performance will be better in terms of chasing power but every single S15 seems to look the same no matter what you do to it and there are quite a few getting around whereas every S13 I see seems to have a different kind of look to it kinda a different character to each one.

What are peoples opinions on the S13 vs S15 for most fun and enjoyable car both look and performance wise?

wow very interesting observation about all the s13s around being more unique!

pretty true when i think about it..

i reckon its cuz the s15 has really distinct features that grab your attention.. such as headlights, curvy shape etc.. which are all the same on most s15s lol..

the s13 has more subtle styling, so i spose the mods stand out alot more.. plus it seems ppl mod the styling more with s13s.. like onevias and sileightys....

anyways ive never owned an s13 and i really like them, but i think s15 look much better and they have decent performance with minor mods..

it's true that s13s can be very different. it's a shame you always see the typical s15s running stock rims, lowered and just a 3 inch cannon.

if i had my time again i would have bought a sil80 rather than my car now. im too scared of hitting things, and i get pissed everytime i see another person driving a s15, its pretty shit.

All s15's look the same because its usually the same sort of people buying them, just like R33's and 34's, more often people new to an import and wanting to start out with a newer car because they are obviously "better". Thats off topic though, I would buy s13 over 15 purely because one has character the other doesnt.

Edited by R32GTRS

When I set out to buy my car I lived the s15 and checked out heaps of them...thing is yeah they're pretty but as mentioned above a lot of the people that own them gay them up....and there's not much you can change in the lines of the car to make it stand out....s13/180sx have sooooo many bod kits it's ridiculous so you see a wider range of them...in terms of performance 6speed

My first import was a s13 was a great car all the same options as my s15 (genuine sunroof) very similar cars in every way just the updated version no new options to make the s15 stand out from the s13 so if your happy with the s13 I'd say save the money and mod the s13 to a level you want it! If you want a newer look and feel buy a s15 ! My 2c

Edited by oyeaha

if i had my time again i would have bought a sil80 rather than my car now. im too scared of hitting things, and i get pissed everytime i see another person driving a s15, its pretty shit.

lol such a hater..

i love seeing other s15s on the road

S15 better in every single way man. Not even close.

I could rattle off points but why bother, people

Are loyal to what they like

All s15's look the same because its usually the same sort of people buying them, just like R33's and 34's, more often people new to an import and wanting to start out with a newer car because they are obviously "better". Thats off topic though, I would buy s13 over 15 purely because one has character the other doesnt.

Disagree. S15 owners are not new to the scene. They gathered money after some time of driving a shitbox (eg r31). While S13 owner just wanted to jump into the scene, have very little knowledge (because its their first car and know nothing) and money, but yeaps of time coz they are like 1st yeay uni or tafe or still at high-school. On the other hand, S15 owners tend to be employed full-time, or near finishing something (trade, uni, tafe), have less time (so prefer just that little more reliability - newer car) and don't generally cut corners when working on their car.

My 2cents worth.

Lol at stereo typing s15 drivers.

I've had 4 s13's i loved all of them. I still love s13's but after having 4 it was just natural to upgrade.

Unfortunately s13 are getting pretty old, and good examples are deminishing.

I bought my s15 because it was newer, had like 50,000 kms. And I love every feature of them.

I've never looked back after buying one, the joy I get driving it is priceless.

I agree that the s13 interior is aged... But what I did was s15 carpet/ rear seats r33gtr seats and led interior lights(not sure if I like them...) Going to retrim door cards and the interior will be pretty modernized imo. Could even do s15 dash if I feel like throwing my wallet down the drain...!

Way I see it is if your looking for a car to mod s13's the way to go;

1. Spend $5000 on car have $10,000 to mod rather than $15000 for base s15

2. More options / different paths to take

3. No need to worry about crashing it ($1000 shell over $3000+)

i made the change from s13 to s15.. i still like the shape and styling of the s13 and i didnt care if i was to hit something bla bla bla but now with the s15 its just more careful and anal about everything -- ahah. and i also agree on the styling of the s15 is the same everywhere you look>

Anyone can answer his question beside the appearance?

(no sarcasm) keen to know about handling

Edited by danbevsta

As I said above, this has potential for a shit slinging match.

Chalk and cheese. Hands down the s15 is a better car, in every aspect. And yes I've had both.

I don't need to elaborate..google is your friend.

I agree that the s13 interior is aged... But what I did was s15 carpet/ rear seats r33gtr seats and led interior lights(not sure if I like them...) Going to retrim door cards and the interior will be pretty modernized imo. Could even do s15 dash if I feel like throwing my wallet down the drain...!

Way I see it is if your looking for a car to mod s13's the way to go;

1. Spend $5000 on car have $10,000 to mod rather than $15000 for base s15

2. More options / different paths to take

3. No need to worry about crashing it ($1000 shell over $3000+)

Using the argument, why not buy a even cheaper pos then, such as a gazelle or a 626 or similar and spend all you cash on mods instead of shell..

Also, no need to wore crashing it..pretty sure you'd be just as worried either way man.

Disagree. S15 owners are not new to the scene. They gathered money after some time of driving a shitbox (eg r31). While S13 owner just wanted to jump into the scene, have very little knowledge (because its their first car and know nothing) and money, but yeaps of time coz they are like 1st yeay uni or tafe or still at high-school. On the other hand, S15 owners tend to be employed full-time, or near finishing something (trade, uni, tafe), have less time (so prefer just that little more reliability - newer car) and don't generally cut corners when working on their car.

My 2cents worth.

Im just telling how I see it mate not trying to offend anyone. I said more often, not every single s15 owner. I say this because over time alot of noob threads are started by people who have no idea and just bought a dead stock s15, seems like a common trend as far as I can see. Having said that i can also see where you're coming from and no doubt thats also the case some of the time.

Edited by R32GTRS

My 2cents worth.

Im just telling how I see it mate not trying to offend anyone. I said more often, not every single s15 owner. I say this because over time alot of noob threads are started by people who have no idea and just bought a dead stock s15, seems like a common trend as far as I can see.

You could say the same about noob threads asking how to remove a turbo off a s13/180.

I think it's entirely stupid to make an assumption about someone's knowledge based on the model of Silvia they own.

It's not that the S15 is everywhere, it's that aspects of its design are everywhere. Many new cars run similar guards, headlights, shape, etc.

Just look at triangular taillights. First appeared on the Lancer/Magna iirc, then appeared on everything... Holden, Mercedes, Honda, etc.

As a result, when you see an S13 it really stands out because it just doesn't match modern styling, nor can it be modified [visually] in the same way.

Edited by pmod

Potentially (based on the replys, not the topic) the Stupidest thread kickin around.

You'll get very few mutual/unbiased opinions.

I'll chip in my 2 bits thou.

You'll hate yourself when you bump/chip scratch or slide a newer car into shit cause it's exactly that.

I prefered my s13's because I woulda been happier to lie in the boot and shove my foot into the quarter to fix it.

Other than aesthetic differences there's slightly better suspension geometry in the s14/15.

But there both an S- Chassis and you could transplant a complete S15 interior into an S13 for stuff all money and no one would tell the difference if your half handy with tools and didn't slap it together.

The front is an obvious easy change aswell.

So your left with doors/roof line and ass + some suspension and subframe differences.

ie use whatever car you want and mod it to how you want.

S15 better in every single way man. Not even close.

I could rattle off points

Ha yer your right, way too many rattles :rolleyes:

Edited by brent47

Anyone can answer his question beside the appearance?

(no sarcasm) keen to know about handling

Out of the factory, an S15 is hands down better. And if you have the 'tune' version (nismo, stiffer shocks etc) it's not really comparable. Speaking from experience.

Modded, well, the S15 does have slightly a better layout, eg rear end, and it does have some 'other' differences that you can't replicate with bolt-ons, such as the fuel tank is moved closer to the center to reduce change of moment weight (whatever that shit is called... I forget).

Im just telling how I see it mate not trying to offend anyone. I said more often, not every single s15 owner. I say this because over time alot of noob threads are started by people who have no idea and just bought a dead stock s15, seems like a common trend as far as I can see. Having said that i can also see where you're coming from and no doubt thats also the case some of the time.

Yeah that's fine. I guess it can't be accurately judge by car. Then again, there is some car types that you can. For example Sprinter and R31 owners are home DIY mechanics or just not in the scene complicity (old man).

...and you can clearly tell I was posting that while half awake getting ready for work lol.

Edited by Suspop

Was never into silvia's until i saw an s15 (used to drive old Mazda's Rx2's) Started wanting a more drift friendly car. Bought an s15, never looked back. Its done endless nights on the tough, day's at the track, drift comps, skid pans. Driving up and down the east coast of australia, broke it, fixed it and always enjoyed driving it. Each to there own, since i got the 15, I've also fallen for the rest of the silvia family but never looked back from the s15, there also a slightly superior build from factory with some added stiffening and tid bits. Awesome stock sports car that with some pretty mellow modding makes a car that performes and is fun as hell to drive and looks the shit. Get em on some tough wheels and low and who needs body kits. They look fresh as is. (not that i wouldn't love a Vertex or something. But meh. But hell, all the silver's are dope. I just always thought the s15 had a much more progressive, smick timeless sort of styling (thats what caught me anyway)

Remember its a sports car, if you just want a trophy go win something. The only real value in owning a performance machine to me is driving it like one. Do track day's, drive it hard, enjoy its capabilities as a well built, fun, awesome sports car. Drift it, race it, touge it and at the end of the day they happen to look awesome also. Obviously i don't wanna wreck it, and hey minesn got some scars, but i look after it and nothing beats a car with a little character.

My 2c

Edited by FutureDrifter

I went from a 15 to a 13. Both near stock handling wise. s15 shits all over the 13 around the bends. Having said that, if you put the money into it, they won't be much different. They still use the 13 chassis for time attack yeah?

Looks wise, who cares? IMO you can have either look mint. Depends on what you like.

mca suspension s13 came 10th at WTAC...cant be all that bad....

that s13 at wtac did well. from sunshine coast, up against world class cars, without any test time and built only very recently.

shows you what potential these cars have.

i think that yes, most s15's on the road look very similar. i think it's the lack of colours (it seems that 90% are grey ones) and the fact that most of them look standard with no mods except wheels.

I drive both my sil80 and gfs s15 all the time. I personally just love my s13 and I'm not one bit jealous. However, you go out and spend 15 -17k and get a really clean mechanically A1 s15 thats smooth as hell to drive. Or try your luck finding an s13 that'l no doubt start breaking the week you buy it anyway thats the annoying part. The s15 requires less maintenance because shit basically never goes wrong.

So it comes down to what your willing to accept. Handling wise yes in stock form s15 wins. But with suspension mods basically they'll both handle awesome. p.s i personally love seeing no other clean sil80s when i drive around compared to the s15. BUT the s15 is so smooth and has literally not one rattle which is freaking amazing anyone who has a 180 will know how annoying random rattles are haha

So to summarise.

Pros of the S15 upgrade:

- Better platform for performance

- Looks more modern (I assume you like this)

- Higher overall build quality

- Comes with acceptable hubs, brakes and interior out of the box

- Comes with dual airbags (you may like this too)

- Car looks great in stock form with rims, so little need be spent on paint and panel work

Cons of the S15 upgrade:

- Parts are more expensive

- You may be more worried about damage (alternatively, you may not care)

- Insurance will be higher

- Car looks great in stock form with rims, so most on the street look fairly similar

- You may be more inclined to only buy quality parts, rather than adapting used parts, cutting up your car or kicking the sh*t out of the panels

- Driver's airbag wheel can't legally be changed for a non-airbag wheel

...which car you have had the most fun in?

...I want a more modern feeling car (interior wise)...

What are peoples opinions on the S13 vs S15 for most fun and enjoyable car both look and performance wise?

I feel you're misunderstanding the value proposition here. It's not about the specifics of the car, it's more about emotional relief.

Unless there are strong reasons to upgrade to a newer car (e.g. no parts for my old Supra, but plenty for my 180), the gain is the intangible benefit of removing a source of negative emotions. Getting tired of being in an old car is one such source of negative emotions. Driving a VN Commodore is another.

Given your opening post, I really don't think you'll regret upgrading.

Edited by pmod