Sign in to follow this  
A31Cefiro

ACT workshops, tuners, paint n panel, rego, etc

So who has had an Engine rebuilt in canberra recently?

Looking at rebuilding my spare SR20, plan is to do most of the assembly myself and just get the machining done somewhere. So not really looking for a workshop who can rebuild an engine more like a machine shop that can deck blocks and bore out cylinders, re-finish cranks ect ect

Also does any one have a bore guage and proper micrometer set that I might be able to borrow? Happy to lay down a deposit or sort something similar out.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/act/phillip/phillip-head-services-pty-ltd-12634578-listing.html

Cant go wrong.

So I pulled down the engine this weekend and confirmed number 3 big end had spun. Spoke to Phillip Head Services who were really helpful and will be doing the machine work. I'd recommend them to any one looking at a rebuild.

Another tip look for stuff from the US, even with international postage you can save a heap.

Dad got some stuff done there for the motor his Mustang, they were great and hes now using them for all his cylinder head and engine reco work that comes in his shop.

Phillip heads are the best around for machining imo. I had my head done there and my block machined so wouldnt go anywhere else and the price was really good.

Im after a good panel beat that will do some minor work for me and paint the whole car for cheap.

Im after a good panel beat that will do some minor work for me and paint the whole car for cheap.

Bring it past... Might be able to have a look and fix it.... Btw i have both drivers and passenger lights

Take it to Naz at KMF. Quality work at a good price.

Hume bodyworks fixed my car after I had a ding not long ago, they were quick, cheap, and did a fantastic job.

Went for a drive down cotter, Got hit by a dock and now have a large crack on the windscreen. Anyone had a windscreen repair/replaced lately. I'm hesitant to try obrien as I've been told to stay away, any good local workshops you recommend?

I had my s13 windscreen replaced recently. Found NRMA was the cheapest and got a discount for being a roadside assist member. Came to my work, 45 mins later all done.

I had mine done by Instant windscreens, came to my house on time and did a decent job.

Check if your insurance covers windscreens

Obrian did mine, but the thing with them is, refuse the first quote. about an hour later they will call you back and offer you around $100 less then the previous quote.

Across Town Windscreens did my S14, they didn't have the windscreen on the day I booked for though, so he knocked the price down a bit when he got it in. Good thing about him though is that you can email him for a quote on a complete replacement without him having to come out and look at it.

Edited by _R_J_K_

Thanks for the recommendation guys, called around 5-6 places and got quoted around $350 mark most places. Gonna book one in with Across Town windscreens for $330.

On a side note, O'brien quoted me $790. :Drugs:

If you want to plug your business please harass Loz to get his arse into gear and sort out a 'local wokshops' sponsorship package. The more you guys that run workshops harass him, the more likely you'll be able advertise your business locally.

Bit of a story about my experience with ACT Brakes.

Today I had the hardline fittings flared for my hydraulic handbrake at ACT Brakes. They are terrible, I wouldn't recommend them at all.

First of all, they are very over priced. ABS in Fyshwick will flare the ends of hard brake line for $5.50 per flare, I like this shop and they do a good job, but their portable flaring tool was broken, so they could only flare hardline out of the car, not under the car like I needed.

ACT Brakes quoted $31.25 per flare! There were no other shops nearby to do the work, so I paid $125 to have the 4 flares done. Way way overpriced.

Secondly, when I arrived to pick my car up it was sitting outside in pouring rain with the two front windows down - both seats drenched and pools of water in the footwells (no carpet in my car)

Next, they said if I wanted the brakes bled it would cost a further $75, I said no and I will bleed them at home. When I picked the car up they said they bled them anyway, but the pedal goes flat to the floor, it was a very difficult drive home. Pretty poor that they couldn't even quickly bleed the brakes to a reasonable pedal feel, hydraulic handbrake or not they are supposed to be a brake shop.

Lastly, before I took the car in I drilled a hole in my transmission tunnel for the hardline to run through, I drilled a 13.5mm hole and put a rubber grommet in it - more than big enough for two pieces of hardline to run through. When I picked the car up, they had run 1 line through the hole with a grommet that I drilled, then they had drilled another hole next to it and didn't put a grommet, I left more grommets in the glovebox but I didn't know they were drilling a new hole and I forgot to tell them about the extra grommets. Either way, you would think a 'professional' brake shop would not leave a brake line running through a bare metal hole.

That's my rant. Overall, terrible experienced, shoddy work and very overpriced, I would not recommend these guys to anyone.

Just thought i would let those who are unaware, I am now one of the owners of Japspec Garage in Mitchell.

Selling second hand import parts from cars we wreck.

We can also get new parts on order for you.

Come in and see either myself (Bren), Brad and Jason we will do our best ti help you out.

Or give us a call on 0261624077

Hey guys. Does anyone know a good place that will able to stretch tyres?

Cheers

How much stretch?

If the tyres won't blow on by themselves most shops won't.

Can anyone recommend where I can take my 180 to get the road worthy done? just bought one from nsw so need to get it done soon,

also I have a varex muffler would it pass if I just left it shut and took the remote, would they notice it?

they would most likely notice it as soon as they got underneath the car.

If you think its not a car that can be passed through normal rego PM me

I know that they have been put up here before but just got a new exhaust fitted from Powatone in Fyshwick.

http://www.powatone.com.au/

Roy and the guys were friendly, great service, top quality work at a good price.

Highly Recommended!!!

I'm looking for someone who has access to a press to change suspension bushes, I already have the bushes and can pull the arms out myself but I dont have a press to actually press them out and in, it's for a landcruiser so they are in there nice and tight, no chance of getting them out with a hammer etc.

I asked a couple of local mechanics/suspension places and their quotes were a joke.

Does anyone also know of a place that machines flywheels? I also need a bellhousing machined to fit a Z32 to SR conversion plate.

Cheers,

I went to an the engine builder in Mitchell to have my flywheel machined.. Good service, quick and $80.

I went to an the engine builder in Mitchell to have my flywheel machined.. Good service, quick and $80.

Act brakes in Mitchell. Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up that arvo.

I'm looking for someone who has access to a press to change suspension bushes, I already have the bushes and can pull the arms out myself but I dont have a press to actually press them out and in, it's for a landcruiser so they are in there nice and tight, no chance of getting them out with a hammer etc.

I asked a couple of local mechanics/suspension places and their quotes were a joke.

Does anyone also know of a place that machines flywheels? I also need a bellhousing machined to fit a Z32 to SR conversion plate.

Cheers,

Dont get a machined bellhousing just buy the Powertune adapter plate and kit and save yourself time and headaches. I did the nispro machined rb25 and if the box goes you have to stip the box but with the powertune plate you just get another box and bolt it straigh in.

Cheers,

Dont get a machined bellhousing just buy the Powertune adapter plate and kit and save yourself time and headaches. I did the nispro machined rb25 and if the box goes you have to stip the box but with the powertune plate you just get another box and bolt it straigh in.

Thanks but I already have the box and kit so just need it machined. If I do blow the box I can always switch bell housings