Sign in to follow this  
Croutonz

S15 diff shim help in Syd

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to shim the diff in my s15. From what I've read it's a relatively straightforward job. Picking the correct shim size appears to be one issue. My diff open wheels when it cocks a leg - any recommendation on what size shim I should go to still remain streetable? Don't want to go too large and end up with a locker... The shits and giggles would run out in a week being a daily... Don't want it to be too loose and still spin one

The other thing is actually taking apart the diff - I don't have access to a vice... Apparently opening it up without one is almost impossible? Anyone in Sydney willing to give a helping hand and let me use their vice? Or possibly offer their services for a price?

I also need solid sub-frame bushes installed into a new subframe. Anyone have access to a press? Or a blowtorch to burn them out?

As always, any help or input is appreciated :)

also check blingys write up on how to change subframe bushes. dont need a press or blow torch. just basic tools

cant shim a helical diff. S15

+ 3

its normal to open wheel when it lifts one rear wheel completely in the air

Damn.... Any use changing to an s14 diff and shimming that? I read mixed opinions on shimming the s15 diff. (Some said it can be done - Others said not...). I trust the wisdom from all of you however.

Is my s15 diff any good for drifting on? (I'm planning to start hitting the skid pan soon so I'm trying to get the car in decent shape...). Having it open wheel when a wheel lifted off the ground led me to believe otherwise however the car launches pretty straight which makes me feel I'm spinning both...

So apparently my helical is no good for drift... True? What options should I be looking at? Skyline VLSD or save for an aftermarket 2way? Any other options I should be looking into?

Cheers for the quick replies guys.

Depends on what Power your running, what ratio you want and if you want to comfortably drive it lol.

My mates got the stock 180 LSD, with alot of shims (pretty much locked).

But not good for tyres lol. I'd say check your budget and go from there.

Budget is relative to time in my case haha. I don't mind saving up a little bit more and getting a 2-way but I'd rather the cheaper option for now.

Power wise I'm not sure.. Should be about 230ish at the moment. Should be making 250 or 270 at the next tune with cams, bigger injectors and possibly e85....

also check blingys write up on how to change subframe bushes. dont need a press or blow torch. just basic tools

Can't find this write-up. I'm having crap luck with the search function today.... Link possibly? - Apologies for needing to be hand fed today. I'm at work...

http://www.hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=438203&st=0&p=5700892&fromsearch=1entry5700892

s15 diff can't be shimmed because it doesn't run clutch packs or cones.

simple option: nismo proTT 1.5 through streeter, fitted in a R33 GTS-T ABS housing (4.1 ratio ftw) stick with you helical till then

^^^ Thanks for the advice Bling.

Shall be changing bushes shortly :). Diff can wait...

s15 diff drifts hard. You just need decent suspension setup (keep her nice and flat to the road) and give it to her.

I've done drift day's at wakefield, drift comps, skidpan's are easy, bit of water down she slides all day.

Obviously it would be nice to have a 2-way but until then, drift the shit out of your stocker. One of the best stock diff out there considering.

Full pelt at Wakey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxdS0GQepDA&list=UU-6mvDWZPm15xmkqesk--9g&index=7&feature=plcp

Skid pan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTGfpE_JRYU&feature=channel&list=UL